Thursday, May 5, 2011

bad hair day


Years ago, I read an article in an old Graphis about a designer or illustrator, I can't recall who, who mentioned that he divided his life up into sacred time (work on creative projects, personal stuff etc.) and profane time (brushing your teeth, renewing your vehicle licence, working to earn a living). I like this idea but realise that I do it in very short bits.

My day job as an editorial cartoonist means that I work to quite tight daily deadlines. However, there is always some dead time (mainly rebooting my poor computer) when I grab the opportunity to swing round on my chair and work on one of the many half-finished collages sitting on my work table. This is my latest result - a few minutes of fiddling around that gave me more satisfaction than the rest of my efforts to do my "daily work". Isn't that why we get up in the morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment