Tuesday, April 26, 2011

car collages


Growing up in South Africa, during the early apartheid years, most cultural artifacts such as magazines were imported. My parents subscribed to magazines from America and England that arrived via mail boat about 2 months after publication. My earliest collage memories consist of cutting out food ads from McCall's magazines and pasting them in a special scrap book. A couple of years ago I came across a rare stash of magazines that featured amazing car ads from the fifties. Of course, some deeply buried memory urged me to cut them out and turn them into collages. The results were pasted into a vintage, recycled stamp album. Last night I discovered that the album has removeable pages, so I promptly dismembered it and started scanning. Here's no.1.

No comments:

Post a Comment